Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Making progress


Last night I did some more reading and this morning I reformulated a list of the veggies/fruits we are growing, what conditions they favor and when I am going to plant what. I also figured out what I am going to plant from seed and what I am going to plant from seedling to make it a little easier on myself this first year. Obviously the list is subject to change. The biggest concern I have is full sunlight. A few of the plants can tolerate part shade but I am anxious they won't grow well under a canopy of tree cover back there. I am keeping my fingers crossed that pulling out the crab apple tree last year will help open it up. I wonder if Mike will think I am crazy if I want to bring the trees guys back to "do a little trimming" on the great big maple we have that I think will pose the greatest sunlight blocking issue.
Here's my list:
Growing from seed:
lettuces
radishes
carrots
peas
swiss chard
spinach
beans
Growing from seedling or plant:
all herbs
peppers
tomatoes
melons
cucumbers
onions
squash
zucchini
Next step is drawing out exactly what will be planted where. The picture is just a sample I pulled off the internet. There are some great examples in the Vegetable Gardener's Bible. Also, our neighbor Ron is hopefully going to roto-till the plots and the mushroom soil will be ordered tomorrow.

No comments: