Thursday, May 13, 2010

There's "bean" some pretty unpredictable weather around here.....












......the past couple of weeks. Temps have ranged from the mid 60's during the day to mid 30's and 40's in the evening. Last weekend the wind was so incredibly gusty it would take your breath away. The good news: the pea sticks my niece and brother accidentally burned in the campfire last weekend reappeared after the windy weekend so I was able to get them in the ground. I made sure to keep up the watering during the windy and cold times and the garden seemed to make out OK. I took some quick pics this morning and I will post a link to an interesting article on wind erosion that was in this mornings News Journal.

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20100513/LIFE0402/5130313/1091/LIFE04/Equanimity+is+gone+with+the+wind

Notice the beans are starting to sprout!A friend of mine who is a native Pennsylvanian offered: "when we have incredibly cold and snowy winters remember the magic date of May 15, that is when it is OK to start planting." So, I am somewhat relieved I did not put in the plants I wanted to this past weekend.
The forecast for Saturday and Sunday is looking great so I may take the opportunity to put in the tomatoes, cucs, herbs, watermelon, zucchini and peppers .

1 comment:

strengthenme said...

So glad your veggies didn't suffer any damages! That May 15th date should be easy for you to remember. One week past Maeve's Birthday, (plus one day.)
Sandi