Saturday, August 28, 2010

Lag Time

Summer is officially winding down here in Delaware. The weather is still pretty warm but the angle of the sun is changing and the days are becoming shorter.... or so it seems. I know! it's the local garden stores that signal the start of fall! Richardson's up at the corner had mums, scarecrow lawn ornaments and ornamental cabbages on display nearly two weeks ago. Target, Wegmans and Super G are all stocked up and ready to go with halloween candy.
Ani DiFranco's album knuckle down was given to me back in the fall of 05 and ever since the song Lag Time reminds me of this time of year. Something about the music in this song evokes images of leaves changing, the rush of getting back to school and reminds me that cold weather clothes need to be pulled up from storage.

The garden.... overall a great experiment. Orion enjoyed helping me take care of our raised beds. The peas, cucumbers and cantalopes froze in fear when they heard the back door slam and Orion's loud, shouting voice follow; "mom, mom, mooooom!" The fun part was watching him get over the fence and then attack the veggies with reckless abandon. He would assure me he wanted a snow pea or a tomato and then quietly slip back up to the garage to hide the remaining evidence. Looking back it was a productive summer for the garden in the early months. We enjoyed peas, lettuce, and spinach before the heat set in. I was really good about watering so my efforts were rewarded in abundant basil, green beans and "sun gold" cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, parsley and oregano. Towards the end of july, the drought really took its toll and I lost steam keeping up with the watering. The roma tomatoes suffered as did the cucumbers and cantalopes. The cantalope leaves slowly began to be covered in a filmy white powder and now the leaves and stems are withering away. The cantalope we did harvest were tasty, very juicy and sweet.
I attended a composting class at the end of july so I am looking forward to starting my pile this fall with my new, simple composter. (open air model) I also cannot wait for next spring to get started on the garden again. I have a new found appreciation for the simple pleasures in life like a fresh tomato sprinkled with salt and pepper enjoyed over the kitchen sink.

The pursuit of higher education.... I finished up my Biology class! I was so relieved to be done and excited I passed. I started my nutrition class this past Wednesday.

I have come across some thought provoking articles and blogs the past few weeks and I am excited to share them.

http://www.everybodygoto.com/2007/10/12/what-people-eat-around-the-world/


The weekly money amounts are from 2005.


http://www.agriculturesociety.com/?p=5474

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well sounds like you had a very good year with the garden. I hope that you continue with this because it is a simple thing that brings relaxation and pleasure and a great sense of accomplishment when you do bite into that tomato. Plus its cool to get the kids involved. I love you Darcy. Dad