Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Dietetics and the Garden





I took a hiatus from the blog to go to summer school. What am I nuts?
Tonight, I finished Biology 150. The very first class I need to take in order to get a bachelor of science in dietetics. I have an even longer road ahead of me....roughly 3 years of classes. Most of these classes are based in science; biology and chemistry, statistics and math. Anyone who knows me knows that math has never been my strong suit and although I have always had an interest in science my grades in high school never reflected that interest. Yes, that's where it seems like I am crazy to go back to school to learn the very stuff I feared and banged my head over so long ago.
So, back to the garden!
And what a garden it is. I don't have a lot of pictures for this post but I can tell you I have cucumbers, peppers and tomatoes growing like mad. Unfortunately, this past july was so dry and hot that when I left for 4 days with no watering the garden, my sugar *SNAP* and snow peas died. It was sad but I thoroughly enjoyed them in the early part of spring and summer. I will definitely grow them again next year. I can't wait to take pictures of the 3 cantaloupe I have growing. How cool is that! I can't get over the cantaloupe. You know who else can't get over the cantaloupe? Orion! I am so excited to chop that melon up with him in a few weeks. Herbs are doing well except for cilantro. I let it go to seed and then it burned out. I have got the seeds and will plant them next spring. Last but not least carrots. I have got quite a few of them and I am waiting and watering hoping for the best. The soil we ordered is not very nice to the carrots because it is full of stones and rocks the carrots have to work extra hard to grow. When I pull a random carrot up to check on them most have hit a hard patch of soil and stopped growing or they hit a stone and split or have even grown around the stone. I have heard carrots grow best in sand. hmmm. Idea for next year.
I will also post a recipe for a pesto pizza that I made with tomatoes and basil from the garden...it was to die for delicious and simple! (not to mention pretty-i love the intense emerald green of pesto)

No comments: