Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Discovery Vegetables























Wow, it is so cool to see how much growth the garden has undergone in the past couple of months. Tonight I added a handful of fresh snow peas and a sprinkle of cilantro to our Thai Coconut Shrimp dish.
The coolest part about having a garden is watching the flowers bloom and then eventually turn to fruit. The peas are coming out in droves. The pepper and bean plants have tons of flowers but no fruit yet. The chard and lettuces are ready for harvest. The cucs, cantaloupe, squashes and watermelon need a bit more time although you can see they are looking for somewhere to climb and have flowers. My goal is to get out to Always the Garden tomorrow and get some more tomato cages and some stakes so I can build something for the cucs and melons to climb on. (They are "bush" varieties but they are looking like they need a lot of room to climb)

Orion actually ate a raw snow pea this morning and liked it so I think my experiment is turning out well. The kids were having fun digging in the beds and tasting the dirt.

I have a project in the works where I am taking pictures of my neighbor's gardens. I hope to highlight how gardening can be as easy or elaborate as the gardener wants. I have talked to neighbors who simply throw a few seeds in the ground and watch what happens to people who meticulously sow their seeds indoors during the Winter for transplant at just the right time to their beds in the Spring. The two green pepper plants are from the neighbor who sowed them indoors.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks great sis I can't wait till you start canning your tomato's Dad