Saturday, June 26, 2010

Lots to share













First of all, I harvested some Swiss chard the other day and made the most amazing meal from it: Sauteed Polenta cakes with Portabella Ragu on a bed of sauteed Swiss chard.

Really interesting article from the backyard gardener in the news journal the other morning. I like this woman because her articles are helpful to the backyard gardener like me!

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20100624/LIFE0402/6240329/1091/LIFE04/Scorched+earth+accelerates+harvests++pest+count


I must have lucked out in the lettuce department because mine isn't bitter or bolting but it is in a partially sunny spot and I have been watering the garden everyday like clockwork. Tomatoes are coming out in droves, I have been harvesting the heck out of the peas and lettuce. The beans and cucs are just starting to take off. I built a cool net contraption with the help of a neighbor. Originally I was going to buy some stakes and use some of my leftover fencing but when the guy at Always the Garden recommended this nylon netting I took him up on it. Works great so far. The cucs and cantaloupes are climbing it like mad. Perks of the netting are that it is reusable every year, won't break down and holds up to 60lbs of fruit and veggies.

No comments: