Saturday, April 24, 2010

Earth Day Fun!































Earth Day was the day Orion and I chose to get out and get sowing. It was really fun. He was interested in the seeds and even planted a few of the big ones like the peas. Lay the pea on top of the soil and then push it in until the dirt reaches your knuckle, then lightly cover hole with dirt. (That's a lot of directions!) He preferred fighting squirrels and digging in the dirt with his little shovel but such is the life of an energetic 4 year old. In the late afternoon a few of the neighborhood kids came over to bounce in the bounce house with Orion while Mike and I talked with the parents and finished the garden. It was a great day.
*for pest protection I ended up buying black netting that I put over the beds. This will keep out the squirrels, birds and rabbits until the seedlings break through. In the mean time I have to go out and choose our fencing (will prob choose chicken/rabbit fencing)

1 comment:

Darcy said...

my rows are a little close together. I know. This should not be a problem for the carrots and radishes but it may be for the spinach and swiss chard. I may just have to thin them down a whole lot. When I plant my next wave (already established herbs and veggies) I will be sure to give them at least a foot in between.