Monday, April 12, 2010

What's your Hardiness Zone?

If you would like to start a garden, any garden, a good place to start is looking up your hardiness zone on a hardiness zone map.

What are Zone Maps? Gardeners need a way to compare their garden climates with the climate where a plant is known to grow well. That's why climate zone maps were created. Zone maps are tools that show where various permanent landscape plants can adapt. If you want a shrub, perennial, or tree to survive and grow year after year, the plant must tolerate year-round conditions in your area, such as the lowest and highest temperatures and the amount and distribution of rainfall.

My Zone here in Delaware is 7 so I won't start planting outside until the last week of April. Most people who grow fruits and vegetables even start their seeds indoors in Feb or March (depending on what they are growing) and then transplant the seedlings outside.

I found a ton of websites but this one from the Burpee Seed site was the most straightforward and informative.

http://www.burpee.com/ancillary/zonefinder.do



3 comments:

strengthenme said...

Are you going to do seeds or seedlings? I think I would tend to go with seedlings. But I'm not the patient, indoor starting type!

Darcy said...

Sandi- if you scroll down I have listed in an earlier blog the breakdown of what I am planting from seed and what I am planting from already potted plant. (just plop it in the soil and water)

strengthenme said...

I did read that and already forgot! Duh...