Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Seeds ordered!!!

I ordered the seeds from Burpee yesterday. They should be here in a few days and we can start sowing! I ordered the early growers. (the soil temp can be as low as 40 degrees as the nights are still chilly here in Delaware) The early growers include carrots, radishes, spinach, lettuces, peas and swiss chard.
I started this blog the other night while thinking about the carrots and radishes:

In Julia Child's memoir My Life in France she talks about the simplicity of eating freshly made mayonnaise with crisp, crunchy, dew kissed carrots and radishes from the garden. That description of the fresh vegetables always stuck out in my head as one of the most memorable descriptions of food ever. The combo immediately sounds weird and yet intriguing. I thought about how our culture advertises to us even at a young age that salt and sugar and processed food is best. What 4 year old would want carrots instead of goldfish? Not mine! (He can't even eat goldfish-that's a blog for another day) Could something so simple taste good?

I suddenly remembered the blender mayonnaise recipe from my Joy of Cooking book and decided to make it again. I went to work pouring and scraping. What I found was real mayo tastes nothing like Hellmans or Miracle Whip. I dipped some baby carrots in-yum!!! It's incredible that homemade mayo could make something as simple as baby carrots taste so good. Try it for yourself you will see what I mean.

I use a metal blade food processor and I double this recipe.
Beat 1 egg well with a fork to blend the yolk and the white, let it settle a few seconds, then measure. If doubling, just use 1 large egg.
Combine:
2 Tablespoons well beaten egg
1 large egg yolk
1/4 teaspoon dry or dijon mustard
Process on high speed until well blended, about 30 seconds. Scrape down the sides, then sprinkle the mixture with:
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice and/or white wine vinegar or rice vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt
Process for 7 to 8 seconds
Have ready in a small spouted measuring pitcher:
3/4 cup oil, room temp (sometimes I use olive but it's a wild flavor so I also recommend corn or vege for a more mild flavor)
With the machine running, add the oil in the thinnest possible stream. After about 1/3 of the oil has been added-the mixture will have swollen and stiffened (you can hear the difference)-add the oil in a slightly thicker stream. Stop the machine when all has been added and scrape down the sides and around the blade, mixing in any unabsorbed oil. If you want a thicker sauce, add as before:
up to a 1/4 cup oil

If your sauce ends up too thick, add as needed:
Light or heavy cream, milk or water ( I haven't had to yet)

Taste the mayo and stir in:
1 1/2 to 3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice or white wine vinegar
1/2 to 1 teaspoon dry or Dijon mustard
salt and ground white pepper to taste (I use black because I don't care if you see the black flecks)
Eat immediately with fresh vegetables such as carrots, radishes, or sweet peppers.

4 comments:

strengthenme said...

Oh my gosh, that reminds me of the fresh mayo I made when we lived in East Amherst. I made it in a blender and it was so easy! And tasted so awesome! Everything I used it on tasted so much better! I'll have to try your recipe someday We don't use mayo much anymore due to the fat content. But when we need to get some I'll remember that I can make it myself!

mjarden said...

Hi there, it was so great to see you today! I'm going to enjoy reading your blog- esp. when you features recipes!!! I think if you click on my name you'll find my blog- I love blogs and blogging!

Darcy said...

Sandi-That is awesome that you have made fresh mayo before! I agree that it is fairly easy to make and does make things like coleslaw, potato salad and BLT's taste scrumptious. Yep, the fat content is high which is a red flag. I like that if I use olive oil the fat content is a tiny bit lower but I get the benefits of the mono unsaturated fats (those won't raise or lower your blood cholesterol) and the poly unsaturated fats. (those actually lower blood cholesterol.) Homemade mayo is def a special treat!

Darcy said...

Hi MJ! It was good to see you too. Thanks for stopping by the blog! I will check yours out too. I love these blogs also-such a creative way to express myself and so much fun to share information! If I don't see you again (in person) have a great summer! oh and I will def post recipes!!!